Komi-Permyak Autonomous Area
Komi-Permyak Autonomous Area (kô´mē-pĬrmyäk´), former administrative division, 12,664 sq mi (32,800 sq km), E central European Russia, in the basin of the upper Kama River. The capital was Kulymkar. The Komi and the Komi-Permyaks, both Finno-Ugric peoples, made up around 60% of the population; the rest were mostly Russians. The area was established in 1925, given autonomous status in 1977, and unified with the surrounding Perm region to form Perm Territory in 2005.