Sault Sainte Marie

All Sources -
Updated Media sources (1) About content Print Topic Share Topic
views updated

Sault Sainte Marie, city (1990 pop. 14,689), seat of Chippewa co., N Mich., Upper Peninsula, a port of entry on the St. Marys River opposite Sault Ste Marie, Ont.; inc. as a city 1887. A variety of light manufactured goods are produced, but the city's economy is principally based on tourism and lake shipping. The famous "Soo" locks on the St. Marys River draw visitors who watch heavily laden ocean vessels and Great Lakes freighters pass through the intricate system that links lakes Superior and Huron. Particularly impressive is the 21-ft (6.4-m) lift to the level of Lake Superior. The region was first explored (1615) by Etienne Brulé, and Father Jacques Marquette established a Jesuit mission there in 1668. French occupation ended in 1763. The British remained in control until 1783, when the area was ceded to the United States. Fort Brady was built in 1822. The discovery of great mineral deposits in the northwest stimulated the construction (1853–55) of the Sault Ste Marie Canal to facilitate the flow of ore; the locks have since been enlarged. An international bridge connects Sault Ste Marie with its Canadian counterpart. Lake Superior State Univ. in the city occupies the historic site of Fort Brady.

views updated

Sault Sainte Marie (sōō sānt mərē´), city (1991 pop. 81,476), S Ont., Canada, on the St. Marys River opposite Sault Ste Marie, Mich. A bridge connects the two cities. Sault Ste Marie is an important port and manufacturing center. Iron and steel, lumber, pulp and paper products, and chemicals are made there; information technology and telematics are also economically important. The city is a tourist center and the gateway to hunting and fishing resorts in nearby lake and forest regions. A fur-trading post was built on the site in 1783, and a canal and lock to bypass the St. Marys rapids was constructed by 1898. Americans destroyed the post and lock during the War of 1812; a new lock was opened in 1895. There are two forest research stations.