The Pahlavi University of Shiraz, Iran, was established by a special law passed by the parliament in 1956 as a nongovernment university under the trust of the king, the queen, and the crown prince. Its name was changed to Shiraz University after the 1979 Iranian Revolution. It began with nine colleges or faculties and by 1977 had 648 faculty members and 5,129 students. It was one of the first Middle Eastern universities created on the U.S. model, offering courses in English and including among its faculty a number of foreigners. Its curriculum includes courses in literature, natural sciences, medicine, agriculture, and engineering. It had 12,600 students and 360 teachers in 2002.