Lord's cricket ground

views updated

Lord's cricket ground, home of the Marylebone Cricket Club and of the Middlesex County Cricket Club, was opened in 1787 by Thomas Lord from Yorkshire in Dorset Square, near Regent's Park. The first match was between Middlesex and Essex. In 1809 he was obliged to move to St John's Wood, a little to the north. The first test match on the ground was between England and Australia in 1884.

J. A. Cannon