Clarendon palace

views updated

Clarendon palace. Two miles east of Salisbury, the palace began in William the Conqueror's time as a hunting-lodge, but was converted by Henry II into a major royal residence. In 1164 when the constitutions of Clarendon were promulgated, fourteen bishops were in attendance. The palace was still in use in the 15th cent., but thereafter was neglected. Only a wall remains today, amid undergrowth.

J. A. Cannon