Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Parker's cement. Patented in 1796, sometimes known as Roman or Sheppey cement, it was a grey-brown stucco rendering composed of burnt clay nodules crushed to powder and mixed with lime, sand, and water. It hardened quickly and was commonly applied to inferior brickwork façades as a substitute for ashlar, the ‘joints’ suggested by scores made before the cement had dried. It was also used (without the addition of lime) for construction under water, as it had the peculiar property of hardening in such conditions: it was superseded by Portland cement.