See also 150. FADS .
- an abnormal fear of novelty. Also called cainotophobia .
- a collection of items of a special, rare, novel, or unusual quality.
- 1. the holding of secret doctrines; the practice of limiting knowledge to a small group.
- 2. an interest in items of a special, rare, novel, or unusual quality. Also esoterism. —esoterist, n.
- 1. the condition of being a griffin, or new arrival from Britain, in India.
- 2. behavior characteristic of a griffin.
- a mania for novelty.
- a hatred of novelty. Also called neophobia .
- Rare. the worship of novelty. —neolater, n.
- an innovator, expecially a coiner of new words.
- an excessive love of novelty. Also called neophilism .
More From encyclopedia.com
papaverine , papaverine (pă-pav-er-een) n. an alkaloid, derived from opium, that relaxes smooth muscle. It can be injected into the corpora cavernosa of the penis… Needlework , needlework •berk, berserk, Burke, cirque, dirk, Dunkirk, erk, irk, jerk, kirk, lurk, mirk, murk, outwork, perk, quirk, shirk, smirk, stirk, Turk, wor… Line-item Veto , Line-Item Veto The Constitution permits the President to sign or veto a bill as a whole. He may not pick and choose among the parts of a bill, signin… sweetbread , sweetbread •flatbread • bedspread • teabread •sweetbread • retread • crispbread •wingspread • widespread • cornbread •shortbread • sowbread • proofre… Novel , novel, in modern literary usage, a sustained work of prose fiction a volume or more in length. It is distinguished from the short story and the ficti… Quality , QUALITY A primary and universal notion that cannot be strictly defined, although it can be described and illustrated. Its Greek equivalent, ποιότης,…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like