Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Miller, Sanderson (1716–80). English amateur architect and connoisseur, he was an important figure in the Georgian Gothic Revival (see also Gothick). He embellished his Manor House at Radway Grange, Warwicks., with Gothic features in 1744–6, and erected an octagonal battlemented and machicolated Gothic Tower at Edgehill, Warwicks. (1745–7). At Hagley Park, Worcs. (1747–8), he designed a ‘ruined’ castle that to contemporaries had the ‘true rust of the Barons’ Wars’, and very soon the Squire of Radway was being consulted as an expert by many anxious to embrace fashionable Gothicizing for their properties. The motif of a two-storey bay-window was used at a number of sites, including Radway, Arbury Hall, Warwicks. (c.1750–2), Adlestrop Park, Glos. (1750–62), and Rockingham Hall, Hagley, Worcs. (1751). The number of buildings where he was involved was considerable, including Lacock Abbey, Wilts. (1754–5—where he advised on the Great Hall and Gothic Gateway), the nave and transepts of Kineton Church, Warwicks. (1755–6), and the sham Castle at Wimpole Hall, Cambs. (1749–51).
J. Curl (2002a);
M. McCarthy (1987)