Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
See also 53. BOOKS ;249. LITERATURE ;428. WRITING .
- the art or science of analyzing handwriting, especially that of manuscripts, with the purpose of establishing their authorship or authenticity. —bibliotist , n. —bibliotic , adj.
- the study of early manuscripts. —codicologist , n. —codicologic, codicological , adj.
- the critical study of original historical documents, as registers, treaties, and charters, especially from medieval periods.
- a manuscript or other document written completely in the hand of the person above whose name it appears. —holograph, holographic , adj.
- 1. the art of decorating manuscripts with illustrations, as in the capitals, tracery, etc.
- 2. the decoration itself.
- a parchment from which earlier writing has been partially or completely removed by scraping so that it may be used again. —palimpsestic , adj.
- the study of papyrus manuscripts. —papyrologist , n. —papyrological , adj.
- a room in a monastery for the writing or copying of manuscripts.
- the art and practice of the scrivener or copyist. —scrivener , n.
More From encyclopedia.com
You Might Also Like
Manufacturing by Annual Survey of Manufactures' North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) Code (Continued)
Manufacturing by Annual Survey of Manufactures' North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code