Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
See also 53. BOOKS ;249. LITERATURE ;428. WRITING .
- the art or science of analyzing handwriting, especially that of manuscripts, with the purpose of establishing their authorship or authenticity. —bibliotist , n. —bibliotic , adj.
- the study of early manuscripts. —codicologist , n. —codicologic, codicological , adj.
- the critical study of original historical documents, as registers, treaties, and charters, especially from medieval periods.
- a manuscript or other document written completely in the hand of the person above whose name it appears. —holograph, holographic , adj.
- 1. the art of decorating manuscripts with illustrations, as in the capitals, tracery, etc.
- 2. the decoration itself.
- a parchment from which earlier writing has been partially or completely removed by scraping so that it may be used again. —palimpsestic , adj.
- the study of papyrus manuscripts. —papyrologist , n. —papyrological , adj.
- a room in a monastery for the writing or copying of manuscripts.
- the art and practice of the scrivener or copyist. —scrivener , n.