Hamilton, David

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Hamilton, David (1768–1843). Leading Glasgow architect of the early C19. He designed the Neo-Classical Hutcheson's Hospital, Ingram Street (1802–5), and became adept at the Greek Revival style. His former Royal Exchange (1829–30) is in sumptuous Graeco-Roman Corinthian, while his Western Club, Buchanan Street (1840), is Italianate. He designed the ‘Bridge of Sighs’ at the Glasgow Necropolis (1833–9). His country-houses were eclectic, and he designed in Jacobean (e.g. Dunlop House, Ayrshire, 1832–4), Gothic (e.g. Castle House, Dunoon, Argyll, 1823–4), and even Romanesque (e.g. Lennox Castle, Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire, 1838–41) with some facility. His son James (1818–61) contributed to many of the designs.

Bibliography

Colvin (1995);
Gomme & and Walker (1987);
Williamson,, Riches,, & and Higgs (1990);
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004)