149. Facial Features
See also 14. ANATOMY ; 37. BEARDS ; 51. BODY, HUMAN ; 148. EYES .
- the condition of having an upper jaw that protrudes beyond the plane of the face. —gnathic , adj.
- Obsolete, the act of gaping or letting the mouth hang open wide.
- a feature or detail in relation to outline or contour, as a feature of a face. —lineamental , adj.
- the condition of having medium-sized jaws that project only slightly from the plane of the face. —mesognathic, mesognathous , adj.
- Rare. a form of divination involving examination of facial features. —metopomantic , adj.
- the art or science of physiognomy; the attempt to discern a person’s character from the study of the facial features. —metoposcopist , n., —metoposcopic , metoposcopical , adj.
- the condition of having retracted jaws. —opisthognathic , opisthognathous , adj.
- the condition of having straight jaws. —orthognathic , orthog-nathous , adj.
- the study of the signs that reveal human passions. —pathognomonic , adj.
- physiognomy, physiognomics
- 1 . the art of determining character or personal qualities from the features or form of the body, especially the face.
- 2 . divination by examining the features of a face. —physiognomist , n. —physiognomic, physiognomical , adj.
- the condition of having jaws that project beyond the upper part of the face. —prognathic, prognathous , adj.
- neuralgia affecting the face.
- 1 . Obsolete, a description of the face. See also 207. HISTORY .
More From encyclopedia.com
Face , face The face is the most complex-surface structure of human and other vertebrate anatomy — in humans containing a total of 14 bones and 32 teeth: it… chaste , chaste / chāst/ • adj. abstaining from extramarital, or from all, sexual intercourse. ∎ not having any sexual nature or intention: a chaste, consolin… Diploidy , diploidy The diploid condition. diploidy The diploid condition. diploidy The diploid condition. plesiomorphic , plesiomorphic Applied to a character state that is based on features shared by different groups of biological organisms and inherited from a common a… CONDITION , con·di·tion / kənˈdishən/ • n. 1. the state of something, esp. with regard to its appearance, quality, or working order: the wiring is in good condit… craggy , crag·gy / ˈkragē/ • adj. (-gi·er , -gi·est ) (of a landscape) having many crags: a craggy coastline. ∎ (of a cliff or rock face) rough and uneven. ∎…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like