Dammartin Family

views updated

Dammartin Family. French architects. Guy, Gui, or Guiot de Dammartin (d. 1398) worked with Raymond du Temple on the Louvre, Paris (1362–72), and from 1367 to 1372 was employed by Jean de France, Duc de Berry (1340–1416), to oversee his ambitious building plans. He designed the Palace of Bourges (1375–85) with an enfilade system of planning, an innovative arrangement for the time in an hôtel. He designed two Saintes-Chapelles, at Riom (1382–8) and Bourges (1392–8), and remodelled the châteaux of Mehun-sur-Yèvre, Riom, and Poitiers as grand mansions, excising battlements and constructing dormers, windows, and architectural embellishments, all in the 1380s. His brother, Drouet de Dammartin (d. 1413), also contributed to building operations at the Louvre and the Hôtel de Nesle (the latter for the Duc de Berry), Paris. Later, in the 1380s, he became Master of the Works for the Duc de Bourgogne, and built the Sainte-Chapelle, Dijon (1387), as well as a Carthusian monastery. Drouet's son. Jean de Dammartin (d. 1454), was supervising architect at the Cathedral of St Julian, Le Mans, from 1421, where he built the north transept and rose-window. In 1432 he was appointed Master of the Works at Tours Cathedral, where he completed the nave and the west portal.


Champeaux & and Gauchery (1894);
Lehoux (1966–8)