views updated

chancel-screen. Screen separating the chancel from the body of the church. A large stone chancel-screen is a pulpitum. Many English wooden examples exist with brattishing on top of elaborately carved, traceried, and vaulted screens: they have galleries, are approached by narrow stairs (many of which have survived the screens themselves), and originally supported a Rood, so are often referred to as Rood-screens.


B&C (1909);
Vallance (1947)