Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Burnet, John (1814–1901). Scots architect, born at Kirk of Shotts, he became an architect in 1844, practising in Glasgow. His early work is modestly Classical, including Elgin Place Congregational Church (1856) and the Italianate 61–3 Miller Street (1854). His later designs include the exuberant Italian Renaissance Clydesdale Bank, St Vincent Place (1870), and the beautifully restrained Clevedon Crescent (1876). Burnet was responsible for the Italian Gothic Glasgow Stock Exchange (1874), Woodlands Parish Church (also 1874), and Lanarkshire House, Ingram Street (1876), an Italianate Mannerist design of great verve, with an unevenly spaced pilastrade and a colonnade on the two upper floors.
Williamson,, Riches,, & and Higgs (1990)