See also 53. BOOKS ; 104. CRITICISM ; 236. LANGUAGE ; 237. LANGUAGE STYLE ; 248. LITERARY STYLE ; 249. LITERATURE ; 346. READING ; 354. RHETORIC and RHETORICAL DEVICES ; 409. VERSE .
- 1. an author’s use of a name belonging to another, especially to a well-known person.
- 2. the state or quality, in a name, of being an allonym.
- a name of one person used by another, such as a writer using the name of someone other than himself for concealment of identity or other purpose. Cf. pseudonym . —allonymous, adj.
- the use by a female writer of a male pseudonym. —pseudandrous, adj.
- the use by a male writer of a female pseudonym. —pseudogynous, adj.
- a nom de plume or fictitious name, especially one used by an author to conceal his identity. Cf. allonymy . —pseudonymous, adj.
- 1. use of a pseudonym by an author to conceal his identity.
- 2. the state or quality of being pseudonymous.
- an obsession with the expectation of publication.
More From encyclopedia.com
Name , name / nām/ • n. 1. a word or set of words by which a person, animal, place, or thing is known, addressed, or referred to: my name is Parsons, John P… Identity , Identity is not a Freudian concept. Theoreticians have defined it in very different ways: as a structure that accounts for narcissism and is part of… Use , use • v. 1. / yoōz/ [tr.] take, hold, or deploy (something) as a means of accomplishing a purpose or achieving a result; employ: she used her key to… ALIAS , alias •Bierce, fierce, Pearce, Peirce, pierce, tierce •Fabius, scabious •Eusebius •amphibious, Polybius •dubious • Thaddeus • compendious •radius • t… Pantelleria , Pantelleria •Achaea, aliyah, Almería, Apia, Bahía, Caesarea, Cassiopeia, Chaldea, Cytherea, Euboea, foreseer, freer, galleria, gynaecea, Iphigenia, K… Kabwe , Kabwe •Kabwe • hatchway • trackway •tramway • gangway • Yahweh •archway • parkway • pathway •headway • segue • expressway •airway, fairway, stairway…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like