Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Austin, Henry (1804–91). Connecticut-born architect, who trained in the office of Town & Davis, and mastered several historical styles. His works at New Haven, CT, include the Yale Library (now Dwight Chapel, of 1842–5), based on King's College Chapel, Cambridge, and the gateway at Grove Street Cemetery (1848–9) incorporating a battered pylon-form and papyrus-bud capitals of the Egyptian Revival. For the Railway Station (1848–9) he employed Italianate, Chinoiserie, and Indian styles, while his City Hall (1861–2) is High Victorian Gothic Revival. He exploited exotic styles in a number of villas, one of the best of which was the Moses Yale Beach House, Wallingford, CT (1850), in which Indian and Italian motifs mingled. In his last years in practice he designed several timber houses using the Stick style (e.g. the W. J. Clark House, Stony Creek, Branford, CT (1879–80)).
E. Brown (1976);
Placzek (ed.) (1982)