Abel, John (c.1578–1675). English architect and master-carpenter. He designed and built several elaborate timber-framed structures in the English and Welsh Border Counties, e.g. the Market Halls at Brecon, Wales (1624—demolished), Kington, Herefs. (1654—demolished 1820), and Leominster, Herefs. (1633—dismantled 1861 and reconstructed as a house named Grange Court). He also built the stone Grammar School at Kington (1625), and was probably responsible for the Caroline timber screen at Abbey Dore Church, Herefs. (1633).
More From encyclopedia.com
Berwick-upon-Tweed , Berwick-on-Tweed. Northumbrian coastal town at the mouth of the river Tweed. Berwick was a disputed Anglo-Scottish border town and changed hands thir… William Kent , Kent, William (c.1685–1748). English painter, designer, landscape-architect, and architect. He was taken up by the nobility early in his career, and… Diego De San Pedro , Siloé, Diego de (c.1490–1563). Spanish Renaissance architect and sculptor of Flemish descent. He travelled in Italy before returning to Burgos in 151… Nicholas Stone , Stone, Nicholas Stone, Nicholas (1587–1647). English sculptor and architect. He worked for Isaac James (fl.1600—after 1624–5), sculptor, of Southwark… William Of Wynford , Wynford, William of (fl. 1360–d. 1405). English master-mason. In 1360 he was working at Windsor Castle, Berks., under Sponlee and William of Wykeham… Rood , Rood Rood. Term, derived from the Anglo-Saxon and Middle-English word for a cross, now used to describe the large Crucifixion set above the entrance…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like