N.V. Philips Gloeilampemfabrieken
N.V. Philips Gloeilampemfabrieken
Sales: Dfl 56 billion (US$27.9 billion)
Stock Index: Amsterdam
Inspired by the visions and leadership of several generations of the Philips family, Philips Incandescent Lamp Works has grown from a small light bulb maker into one of the largest and most successful electronics firms in the world. Throughout the company’s history, the family has sustained a strong commitment to technological innovation, market expansion, and stringent management policies.
The early years of the company were very much a family affair. On May 15, 1891, Gerard Philips, a young engineer who saw commercial potential in newly developing electrical technology, formed Philips & Company, a partnership with his father, Frederik Philips, to manufacture incandescent lamps and other electrical products. The elder Philips, a wealthy tobacco merchant and banker from Zaltbommel, provided the financing while Gerard contributed the technical expertise.
Philips & Company began operations in a small factory in Eindhoven. Production started in 1892, but the fledgling company encountered problems from the very beginning. The firm could not produce as many lamps as Gerard had forecast, nor did the lamps fetch the price he had expected. Father and son had underestimated the strength of international competition in the young industry, especially from the large German manufacturers who had entered the market in the early 1880s and were already well established.
The company suffered heavy financial losses in 1893, and by 1894 the two men decided to sell the business. That might have been the end of the family’s venture into the electrical industry had it not been for the fact that the only offer they received was considered unacceptable by Frederik. After negotiations broke down with the prospective buyer, the Philipses decided to risk everything rather than sell at too low a price.
The company was clearly in need of someone with commercial skills and ambition to make it profitable. Frederik was preoccupied with his banking and commercial interests in Zaltbommel, and, while Gerard possessed the technical ability necessary to manufacture electric light bulbs and other innovative products, he was not by nature a businessman. Frederik thus turned to his youngest son, Anton.
Anton Philips, who was 16 years younger than Gerard, joined the firm in early 1895. Anton had left school early to work in London for a brokerage firm. This brief training in business helped; once he assumed control, Anton began winning the company new customers both at home and abroad. In a few years, the company was growing at a healthy rate.
At the turn of the century the company kept pace with constant innovations in the electrical industry by developing a skilled staff of technical and commercial specialists. When the carbon-filament lamp became obsolete after 1907, Philips and other companies pioneered the development of lamps that used tungsten wire, which produced three times as much light for the same amount of electricity. Philips was also at the forefront of revolutionary improvements in the manufacture of filament wire, which gave rise to the production of incandescent lamps of all types and sizes. In 1912 Philips & Company was incorporated as N.V. Philips Gloeilampfabrieken and began offering its shares on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange.
As the company grew, it became increasingly evident to both Gerard and Anton that a strong research-and-development capability would be critical to its survival. Consequently, in 1914 Gerard appointed a young physicist, Gilíes Hoist, to lead the company’s research effort. Dr. Hoist and his staff worked as a separate organization, reporting directly to the Philips brothers; this laboratory eventually developed into the Philips Research Laboratories.
The Netherlands remained neutral in World War I, to the company’s benefit. Shortages of coal for the production of gas resulted in gas rationing, which in turn stimulated the use of electricity. By 1915, Philips had succeeded in producing a small, economical argon-filled lamp that was immediately in great demand.
When Germany prohibited the export of argon gas, Philips avoided a production breakdown by completing its own argon-production facility. Similarly, the glass bulbs used in manufacturing its lamps, which had been obtained from factories in Germany and Austria before the war, suddenly fell into short supply. The brothers decided in 1915 that the supply problem could be solved only by constructing a glass works of their own. That factory opened in 1916, followed shortly by additional facilities for the production of hydrogen gas and corrugated cardboard. These moves were the first steps toward the vertical integration of the company’s production processes.
After the war, Philips began to expand its overseas marketing efforts significantly. Before 1914, Philips had autonomous marketing companies in the United States and France. In 1919, La Lumière Economique was established in Belgium, followed by similar organizations set up in 13 other European countries as well as China, Brazil, and Australia.
Research conducted under the direction of Dr. Hoist played a critical role in the development of new products during this time. Fields such as X-ray radiation and radio reception were given high priority, resulting a few years later in product-line additions such as X-ray tubes and radio valves.
In 1920 a holding company, N.V. Gemeenschappelijk Benzit van Aandeelen Philips Gloeilampenfabriken known as N.V. Benzit was formed and assumed ownership of Philips.
Gerard Philips retired in 1922 and was succeeded as company chairman by Anton, who was 48 years old. Under Anton’s management, the company began to manufacture complete radio sets; it displayed its first model at the Utrecht Trade Fair in September, 1927. From then on, rather than manufacturing just electrical components, the company started to manufacture complete products whenever possible—a significant change in management strategy.
During the 1920s, the company’s headquarters at Eindhoven underwent extensive renovation and expansion, with the construction of additional buildings for new and existing industrial products. Toward the end of the decade, Philips’ Lamp Works set up more overseas subsidiaries in Asia and Africa, as well as in Europe.
The worldwide depression of the 1930s, however, stalled the company’s robust expansion, forcing employee layoffs and an administrative reorganization. As a result, new budgeting methods and an improved cost-price calculation were introduced to facilitate a faster response to changing market conditions. Research continued with considerable vigor, producing new products such as gas-discharge lamps, X-ray equipment, car radios, telecommunications equipment, welding rods, and electric shavers, all of which ultimately helped alleviate the company’s financial difficulties. And, despite its problems, the company opened a number of new offices in South America.
The international trade barriers erected by many national governments during the 1930s in an attempt to protect domestic industries from foreign competition forced a major change in the structure of the company. As a result of the barriers, it became extremely difficult for Philips to supply its overseas marketing companies from its headquarters in Eindhoven. Management responded by establishing local production facilities in foreign countries.
Anton Philips retired in 1939 as president, though he remained active in a supervisory role as “president-commissaris.” He was succeeded as president by his son-in-law, Frans Otten, while his son, Frits Philips, was made a director of the company.
The ominous political developments in Europe at the end of the 1930s prompted management to prepare for the worst. The North American Philips Corporation (NAPC) was founded in the United States in anticipation of the possible Nazi occupation of the Netherlands. When the Nazis invaded in May, 1940, Dutch defenses crumbled and the country capitulated within a week. The management of Philips followed the Dutch government into exile in England. Eventually, the top management made its way to the United States, where NAPC managed operations in nonoccupied countries for the duration of the war. Frits Philips, while attempting to maintain as much independence as possible from Nazi authorities, remained behind to manage operations in the Netherlands.
Philips’ activities in the Netherlands suffered seriously as the war progressed. In 1942 and 1943 company factories were bombed by the Allies, and in 1944 the Nazis bombed them a final time as they withdrew. Thus the first order of business after the war ended was reconstruction. By the end of 1946, most of the buildings had been restored and production had returned to its prewar level.
The postwar years were a time of worldwide expansion for the company. The existing Eindhoven-centered management structure was revised to allow overseas operations more autonomy. National organizations, responsible for all financial, legal, and administrative matters, were created for each country in which Philips operated. Manufacturing policy, however, remained centralized, with various product divisions in Eindhoven responsible for overall development, production, and global distribution.
The research arm of the company remained a separate entity, expanding in the postwar years into an international organization with eight separate laboratories in Western Europe and the United States. Philips laboratories also made major technological contributions in electronics, including the development of new magnetic materials such as ferroxcube and ferroxdure, and work on transistors and integrated circuits.
The growth of the Common Market, established in 1958, presented the company with new opportunities. While factories had previously manufactured products solely for local markets, larger-scale production units encompassing the entire European Economic Community were now possible. With export to Common Market countries made easier, a new approach to product development was also necessary. Philips’ factories were gradually integrated and centralized into International Production Centers—the backbone of its product divisions—as it made the transition from a market-orientated to a product-oriented business.
Frits Philips was named president in 1961 and managed the firm during a very prosperous decade, so that when, in 1971, Henk van Riemsdijk was appointed president, he took over a company riding the crest of 20 years of uninterrupted postwar success. The 1970s, however, were a difficult time, as competition from Asia cut into Philips’ markets. Many of its smaller, less-profitable factories were closed as the company created more large-scale, efficient units. The company also continued its innovative efforts in recording, transmitting, and reproducing television pictures. In 1972, for example, the company introduced the first video cassette recorder to the market.
In 1977, Nico Rodenburg became president. Under Rodenburg sales grew steadily for most of the late 1970s and early 1980s, but increased profits did not follow. As Japanese companies, with their large, automated plants, flooded the market with inexpensive consumer electronics, Philips, with factories scattered throughout Europe and rising labor costs, saw its market share continue to decline.
The company’s fortunes began to change with the appointment of Wisse Dekker as president and chairman of the board in January, 1982. Dekker initiated an ambitious restructuring program intended to control Philips’ unwieldy bureaucracy and increasingly haphazard productivity. After only a few months, Dekker had closed more than a quarter of the company’s European plants and had significantly pared down its global workforce.
Dekker also began to seek acquisitions and joint ventures designed to help concentrate the company’s resources on its most profitable and fastest-growing product lines. Philips bought the lighting business of the American company Westinghouse outright, and acquired a 24.5% stake in Grundig, the largest West German consumer-electronics firm. In the United States, North American Philips consolidated the operations of its Magnavox consumer-electronics division with the Sylvania and Philco businesses it had already purchased from GTE Corporation, in 1981. Two years later, the company announced a 50-50 joint venture with AT&T to manufacture and market public-telephone equipment outside the United States, a deal it hoped would save millions in research-and-development costs.
When Cornelis van der Klugt assumed the presidency of Philips in 1986, he continued to seek acquisitions and joint ventures to improve the company’s market position. Philips’ research in solid-state lasers and microelectronics, resulting in advancements in the processing, storage, and transmission of images, sound, and data, has also helped regain part of the market lost to the Japanese. This research has produced innovative items such as the Laser Vision optical disc, the compact disc, and optical telecommunications systems.
Van der Klugt reorganized the company, eliminating an entire layer of management and setting policy by committee. Van der Klugt has also made an effort to globalize the company’s structure, improving profitability; in 1988 Philips’ profits rose 29%. Rationalization of operations has also played a role in this restructuring. In 1987, Philips geared up for a major international push into consumer electronics, and targeted U.S. markets hoping to broaden its market share in TVs, VCRs, and CD players. In response to Japanese competition, van der Klugt began to focus Philips’ resources more closely on electronics and to drop unrelated activities. Philips also began to share rising research-and-development costs with other large corporations such as AT&T, GEC, Siemens, and Whirlpool through joint ventures.
As Philips looks toward its centenary in 1991, the future appears especially bright. With a wide range of products in lighting, consumer electronics, domestic appliances, professional systems, and components, the company is poised to gain a larger share in each of these markets. No doubt Philips Laboratories, one of the most highly respected research facilities in the world, will continue to develop the items necessary for the company to maintain its position as a leader in the electronics industry.
Nederlandse Philips Bedrijven BV; Philips International BV; Philips Export BV; Bauknecht Holdings BV; North American Philips Corporation.