Barbiere di Siviglia, Il
1. opera buffa in 2 acts by Rossini, to lib. by Sterbini based on Beaumarchais's comedy (1775). To differentiate it from Paisiello's opera of the same name it was called Almaviva, ossia L'inutile precauzione (Almaviva, or the Useless Precaution) at its f.p. (Rome 1816). Perf. London 1818, NY 1819. The famous ov. had already been used by Rossini for 2 other operas (Aureliano in Palmira and Elisabetta, Regina d'Inghilterra).
2. Paisiello's opera is in 4 acts to a lib. by Petrosellini. Prod. St Petersburg 1782, London 1789, New Orleans 1805. Several modern revivals.
3. Operas on this subject were also comp. by Elsperger (1783), Benda (1785), Schulz (1786), Morlacchi (1816), and Graffigna (1879).
"Barbiere di Siviglia, Il." The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music. . Encyclopedia.com. (August 14, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/barbiere-di-siviglia-il
"Barbiere di Siviglia, Il." The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music. . Retrieved August 14, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/barbiere-di-siviglia-il
Encyclopedia.com gives you the ability to cite reference entries and articles according to common styles from the Modern Language Association (MLA), The Chicago Manual of Style, and the American Psychological Association (APA).
Within the “Cite this article” tool, pick a style to see how all available information looks when formatted according to that style. Then, copy and paste the text into your bibliography or works cited list.
Because each style has its own formatting nuances that evolve over time and not all information is available for every reference entry or article, Encyclopedia.com cannot guarantee each citation it generates. Therefore, it’s best to use Encyclopedia.com citations as a starting point before checking the style against your school or publication’s requirements and the most-recent information available at these sites:
Modern Language Association
The Chicago Manual of Style
American Psychological Association
- Most online reference entries and articles do not have page numbers. Therefore, that information is unavailable for most Encyclopedia.com content. However, the date of retrieval is often important. Refer to each style’s convention regarding the best way to format page numbers and retrieval dates.
- In addition to the MLA, Chicago, and APA styles, your school, university, publication, or institution may have its own requirements for citations. Therefore, be sure to refer to those guidelines when editing your bibliography or works cited list.