Carlton Club

views updated

Carlton Club. Founded in 1832 after the Tories' sharp electoral defeat over the Great Reform Act as a means of rallying the party, of ensuring that supporters registered their right to vote, and of co-ordinating press campaigns. It met first at Carlton House Terrace, then at the Carlton Hotel, and finally at its own premises in Pall Mall, designed by Smirke. Smirke's building was bombed during the Second World War and the club moved to St James's Street. Members are still expected to hold conservative principles. At a meeting in the club on 19 October 1922 the Tories took their decision to withdraw from the Lloyd George coalition.

J. A. Cannon