23. Antimilitarism (See also Peace, Peacemaking.)
- All Quiet on the Western Front unromanticized novel of WWI and its unsung heroes. [Ger. Lit.: All Quiet on the Western Front ]
- Arjuna called upon by duty to be a warrior, he refuses to join the fratricidal battle. [Hindu Lit.: The Bhagavad-Gita in Benét, 103]
- Arms and the Man satirizes romantic view of war. [Br. Lit.: Arms and the Man ]
- Farewell to Arms, A novel of lovers who flee from war’s horrors. [Am. Lit.: A Farewell to Arms ]
- Quakers known for service to peace. [Am. Hist.: EB, 7: 743–745]
- Sherston, George refuses to continue taking part in a war being wrongfully prolonged. [Br. Lit.: Memoirs of an Infantry Officer in Magill I, 579]
- Undershaft, Barbara fights her father’s involvement in munitions manufacture. [Br. Drama: Shaw Mayor Barbara in Magill III, 617]
"Antimilitarism." Allusions--Cultural, Literary, Biblical, and Historical: A Thematic Dictionary. . Encyclopedia.com. (May 21, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/antimilitarism
"Antimilitarism." Allusions--Cultural, Literary, Biblical, and Historical: A Thematic Dictionary. . Retrieved May 21, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/antimilitarism
Encyclopedia.com gives you the ability to cite reference entries and articles according to common styles from the Modern Language Association (MLA), The Chicago Manual of Style, and the American Psychological Association (APA).
Within the “Cite this article” tool, pick a style to see how all available information looks when formatted according to that style. Then, copy and paste the text into your bibliography or works cited list.
Because each style has its own formatting nuances that evolve over time and not all information is available for every reference entry or article, Encyclopedia.com cannot guarantee each citation it generates. Therefore, it’s best to use Encyclopedia.com citations as a starting point before checking the style against your school or publication’s requirements and the most-recent information available at these sites:
Modern Language Association
The Chicago Manual of Style
American Psychological Association
- Most online reference entries and articles do not have page numbers. Therefore, that information is unavailable for most Encyclopedia.com content. However, the date of retrieval is often important. Refer to each style’s convention regarding the best way to format page numbers and retrieval dates.
- In addition to the MLA, Chicago, and APA styles, your school, university, publication, or institution may have its own requirements for citations. Therefore, be sure to refer to those guidelines when editing your bibliography or works cited list.
"Antimilitarism." The Oxford Companion to American Military History. . Encyclopedia.com. (May 21, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/antimilitarism
"Antimilitarism." The Oxford Companion to American Military History. . Retrieved May 21, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/antimilitarism