quad / kwäd/ • n. 1. inf. short for: ∎ a quadrangle. ∎ quadruplet (sense 1). ∎ a quadriceps. ∎ a quad bike. ∎ quadraphonic sound. ∎ a quadriplegic.
2. (in telephony) short for quadraplex.
3. a radio antenna in the form of a square or rectangle broken in the middle of one side.
4. a traditional roller skate.
5. Printing a small metal block in various sizes, lower than type height, used in letterpress printing for filling up short lines.
• adj. inf. short for: ∎ quadruple. ∎ quadrophonic.
, clod, cod, god, hod, mod, nod, od, odd, plod, pod, prod, quad, quod, rod, scrod, shod, sod, squad, tod, Todd, trod, wad
•demigod • amphipod • unipod
•tripod • isopod • myriapod • decapod
•cephalopod • monopod • macropod
•gastropod • arthropod • sauropod
•ramrod • Nimrod • hotrod • pushrod
•goldenrod • Novgorod • slipshod
•roughshod • eisteddfod • tightwad
Abbreviation of quadrangle
, used in Oxford to describe a college court
surrounded by buildings on all four sides and approached through a gateway (often set in a tower).