Benedictine abbey near Ryde on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England; the name derives from the nearby royal quarry. It was founded by Baldwin de Redvers as a daughterhouse of savigny (1132) with which it became affiliated with cÎteaux (1147). Its fervor and importance led to the foundation of Stanley (1151) and buckland (1278) as daughterhouses. The monk Stephen of Lexington became abbot of clairvaux (1243). Neither writings nor chartularies are available for the decline caused by coastal raids of the Hundred Years' War. Quarr was suppressed under Henry VIII (1536), and the buildings were demolished to build coastal fortifications. Monks in exile from solesmes rebuilt the monastery (1906–14), which became a priory (1925) and an abbey (1937) of that congregation.
Bibliography: f. burton, Quarr Abbey (Ryde 1900). p. g. stone, The Monks of Quarr (Newport 1912). d. knowles, The Monastic Order in England, 943–1216 (2d ed. Cambridge, England 1962). d. knowles, The Religious Orders in England, 3 v. (Cambridge, England 1948–60). Quarr Abbey (London 1960). o. l. kapsner, A Benedictine Bibliography: An Author-Subject Union List, 2 v. (2d ed. Collegeville, MN 1962); v.1, author part; v. 2, subject part. 2:251. l. h. cottineau, Répertoire topobibliographique des abbayes et prieurés, 2 v. (Mâcon 1935–39) 2:2385.
[e. p. colbert]