Mission Helpers of the Sacred Heart
MISSION HELPERS OF THE SACRED HEART
A religious community of women founded by Mother M. Demetrias in Baltimore, Md., in 1890 and dedicated to the work of catechetics and religious instruction (MHSH, Official Catholic Directory #2720). The congregation was raised to pontifical status in 1949. From the beginning, the sisters combined regular home visiting with the organization of catechetical classes. As missionaries and religion teachers, they continued through the years to go out from their convents to surrounding areas, pioneering in any undertaking that assists bishops and pastors to implement religious education in their dioceses and parishes. Their varied activities have included the initiation and promotion of schools of religion, home
instruction programs, special education for the handicapped, and youth ministries. The motherhouse in Baltimore remains the educational center where the work is constantly evaluated and coordinated.
[m. f. timmerman/eds.]