The Misericordia Sisters (SM) is a congregation with papal approbation founded in Montreal, Canada, on Jan. 16, 1848, by Bp. Ignace Bourget and Rosalie Jetté (Mother of the Nativity) for the purpose of rehabilitating wayward young women. Some of these women consecrate themselves to God by taking vows as Oblate Sisters of Misericordia. The Misericordia Sisters work at hospitals, schools of nursing, retreat houses, and other social work venues. On June 7, 1867, Pius IX approved the institute; Pius XI granted final approbation of the constitutions on May 6, 1932. The superior general resides at the motherhouse in Montreal. The first U.S. foundation was established in 1887. The U.S. headquarters is in Aurora, IL.