Little Missionary Sisters of Charity
LITTLE MISSIONARY SISTERS OF CHARITY
(LMSC, Official Catholic Directory #2290); in Italian, Piccole Suore Missionarie della Carità, a congregation with papal approval (1957), founded at Tortona, Italy, in 1915 by Don Luigi Orione as a part of his program called the Little work of Divine Providence. The purpose of the congregation was to perform works of charity among the poor, orphaned, aged, and the mentally and physically handicapped. The sisters are engaged in teaching, nursing, and social and catechetical work in Italy, Poland, Spain, England, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Brazil. The sisters first arrived in the U.S. in 1949. The general motherhouse is in Rome. Don Orione founded a cloistered branch within the community when, in 1927, he organized the Perpetual Adorers of the Most Blessed Sacrament. This group is made up of blind persons who live a contemplative life, devoted mainly to prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.
[t. f. casey/eds.]