Ernest of Pardubice (Pardubitz)
ERNEST OF PARDUBICE (PARDUBITZ)
Archbishop of Prague; b. Hostinné Castle (Czech.), c. 1297; d. Roudnice, June 30, 1364. After his education at the Benedictine monastery in Broumov and the bishop's school in Prague, he studied Canon Law at the universities of Bologna and Padua. Following ordination he was named canon, then dean (1338) of the St. Vitus Cathedral Chapter in Prague. He was elected bishop of Prague in 1343, and its first archbishop in 1344. His program of reorganizing and reforming his lax clergy was accomplished through a diocesan synod (1343), enforcing regulations against heretics, and a provincial synod (1349), promulgating statutes concerning ecclesiastical life. He innovated acta consistorii to improve administrative procedure in the archdiocese, while at the same time, the devotio moderna was working toward an improvement of moral standards for the laity. He was a trusted friend of Emperor Charles IV, and his frequent emissary to the papal court. The foundation of the new St. Vitus Cathedral (1344) and monasteries at Emmaus (1347) and Kladsko, are credited to Ernest. He was responsible for the foundation of Charles University of Prague (1348), and as its chancellor he secured it privileges and financial support. His desire for retirement obviated the proposal that he be a serious candidate for the papacy in 1362.
Bibliography: e. winter, Tausend Jahre Geisteskampf im Sudetenraum (Salzburg 1938) 57–98. j. k. vyskoČil, Arnošt z Pardubic (Prague 1947). s. h. thomson, "Learning at the Court of Charles IV," Speculum 25 (1950) 1–20.