Divine Compassion, Sisters of the
DIVINE COMPASSION, SISTERS OF THE
(Abbreviation: RDC, Official Catholic Directory #0970), founded in the Archdiocese of New York by Mother Mary Veronica Starr and Thomas S. Preston, vicar-general of the diocese, on July 2, 1886. Both the founders were prominent converts who for the previous 17 years had been collaborators, along with Catholic lay women and men, in a charitable organization known as The Association for Befriending Children and Young Girls and in the supervision of its home, The House of the Holy Family, in New York City. In 1890 the sisters bought property in White Plains, N.Y. for a motherhouse and novitiate that became known as Good Counsel. There, in an expansion of their ministry of education with children and young girls, the sisters established an elementary school, high school and college (1923–1975). In 2001 the congregation numbers about 115 members and 50 lay associates and sponsors two high schools, an elementary school, a spiritual renewal center, a counseling center, a ministry with migrant workers and a ministry with the rural poor, all in the Archdiocese of New York. In addition, sisters serve in other elementary schools, high schools and colleges as well as hospitals, social service agencies and religious education programs.
[m. t. brady/
a. v. feeley]