BET(H)-MAON (Heb. בֵּית מָעוֹן).
(1) See *Baal-Meon.
(2) A locality ½ mi. (¾ km.) from Tiberias (Tell Māʿūn) where Josephus conferred with the men of Tiberias during the Jewish War in 66 c.e. (Life, 64, 67). In talmudic times Beth-Maon is frequently mentioned as a center of opposition to the Patriarchs residing in Tiberias and as a refuge for rabbis antagonistic to them (Gen. R. 80:1, 24; 31:2). The priestly family of Huppah settled there after the destruction of the Temple (ha-Kallir: Yashevah Eikhah). The sources mention a synagogue there (cf. tj Ta'an, 4:2, 68a).
Avi-Yonah, Geog, 139; Press, Ereẓ, 1 (1951), 90. Y. Tsafrir, L. Di Segni, and J. Green, Tabula Imperii Romani. Iudaea – Palaestina. Maps and Gazetteer (1994), 84.