ANAHARATH (Heb. אֲנָחָרַת), Canaanite city in the eastern part of Lower Galilee. It is mentioned in the list of cities conquered by Thutmosis iii in approximately 1469 b.c.e. (no. 52). It was the most distant place captured in the second campaign of his successor Amenhotep ii (c. 1430 b.c.e.), and the booty there included captives, chariots, and cattle. Anaharath later became part of the territory of Issachar (Josh. 19:19). The village of al-Nāʿūra, north of the Jezreel Valley and east of the Hill of Moreh, may preserve the ancient name and has been suggested for its identification. It lacks, however, suitable archaeological remains, as does the nearby Tell al-ʿAjjūl which has also been proposed. The only other possible site in the vicinity is Tell al-Makharkhas, a prominent tell 5 mi. (8 km.) north of al-Nāʿūra and 4 mi. (7 km.) east of Mount Tabor, which dominates the upper part of Wadi al-Bīra and contains remains dating from the end of the fourth millennium up to about the tenth century b.c.e.
em, s.v.; Press, Ereẓ, 1 (19512), 28; Aharoni, in: jnes, 26 (1967), 212–5; Aharoni, Land, index.