Kütahya (kütä´yä), city (1990 pop. 131,286), capital of Kütahya prov., W central Turkey. An agricultural market center producing sugar beets, fruit, and cotton. Iron, lignite, mercury, and chromium are mined nearby. The city has been famous since the 16th cent. for the manufacture of ceramics. It has a hydroelectric plant. Known in ancient history as Cotyaeum, it was occupied by the Seljuk Turks soon after the battle of Manzikert (1071). In the 15th cent. it passed to the Ottomans. A former spelling is Kutaiah.