Friedrich Schiller University of Jena
Friedrich Schiller University of Jena (frē´drĬkh shĬl´ər, yā´nə), at Jena, Germany; founded 1548 as an academy; became the Univ. of Jena 10 years later. The school gained an international reputation in the 18th cent. when G. W. F. Hegel, Johann Fichte, and Friedrich von Schiller taught there. In 1934 the university's name was changed to reflect its connection with Schiller. It includes faculties of theology, law, medicine, philosophy, economics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics and astronomy, psychology, education, physical education, and technology. It has institutes of languages, classical studies, and the history of medicine and natural science, as well as a botanical garden and an herbarium.