Conroe (kŏn´rō), city (1990 pop. 27,610), seat of Montgomery co., SE Tex.; inc. 1885. Long a pine-lumbering town, it prospered after oil was discovered in 1932. The Conroe oil field is one of the significant producers in the state. Farm products include beef and dairy cattle and nursery stock. There are resorts, and machinery, rubber products, and chemicals are manufactured.