Court of International Trade
COURT OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE
In 1926 Congress converted the Board of General Appraisers, which had been hearing appeals from decisions of customs collectors, into the United States Customs Court. In 1956, Congress declared that the court was established under Article III. Because the court's business is strictly "judicial" and its members are appointed for life during good behavior, it is probably a constitutional court on the same reasoning that was applied to the court of customs and patent appeals (CCPA).
In 1980 Congress changed the Customs Court's name to the United States Court of International Trade and extended its jurisdiction to include additional noncustoms matters relating to international trade. Its decisions, formerly reviewed by the CCPA, today are reviewed by the united states court of appeals for the federal circuit.
Kenneth L. Karst