Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Turner, Thomas (1820–91). Irish architect, related to Richard Turner (1798–1881—the Dublin iron-founder, who worked with Burton and Lanyon on the design and manufacture of the Palm Houses at Kew and Belfast), and a pupil of Lanyon. Thomas Turner designed many buildings in the North of Ireland, some in association (from 1861) with the architect and civil engineer, Richard Williamson (d. 1874), who was Surveyor to the County of Londonderry and The Honourable The Irish Society from 1860. His masterpiece is probably the Town Hall in Coleraine, Co. Londonderry, erected by The Irish Society in 1858–9. Among his other works may be cited the handsome Northern Bank, Ship-quay Place, Londonderry (1866—which would not look out of place in Glasgow). He has been credited with The Irish Society's Schools at Ballougry, Coleraine, and Culmore, all in Co. Londonderry, and all 1860s, but the documentary evidence suggests Williamson was mostly responsible for these, although Turner may have had a hand in the designs. Turner designed Stormont Castle, Belfast (1857–8), a hefty essay in the Scottish Baronial style; the conservatory at Ballywalter Park, Co. Down (1863); and Craigavad House (1852—now the Royal Belfast Golf Club). Other buildings have been attributed to him, including the Old Rectory, Kircubbin (1843), and Craigdarragh House, Helen's Bay (c.1850).
Country Life, cliii/3961 (24 May 1973), 1495–6;
J. Curl (1986, 2000);
Thesis 461 QUB (1989)