- Obsolete, the act of wordplay; punning. Also called agnomination , annomination .
- equivocality, equivocacy
- the state or quality of being ambiguous in meaning or capable of double interpretation. —equivocal, adj.
- equivoque, equivoke
- 1. an equivocal term or ambiguous expression.
- 2. a play upon words; pun.
- 1. Rhetoric. the use of a word in different senses or the use of words similar in sound for effect, as humor or ambiguity; punning.
- 2. a pun. —paronomastic, adj.
- the study of puns and punning. —punnologist, n.
More From encyclopedia.com
Word , WORD WORD A fundamental term in both the general and technical discussion of language. The following selection of primary definitions of word is draw… Keyword , KEYWORD, also key word. 1. A WORD that serves as a crucial (‘key’) element in a usage, phrase, sentence, text, subject, concept, theory, or language:… Loanword , LOANWORD, also loan-word, loan word. A WORD taken into one language from another: in English, garage from French, leitmotif from German. Such words a… CATACHRESIS , CATACHRESIS [Stress: ‘kata-KREE-sis’]. A traditional term for the mistaken use of one word for another, as in Royal Anglican Regiment for Royal Angli… Pun , PUN, also paronomasia [Stress: ‘pa-ro-no-MAY-si-a’]. 1. The conflating of HOMONYMS and near-homonyms to produce a humorous effect: (in speech and wri… Onomatopoeia , Eve Merriam 1964 Sources Eve Merriam was a prolific and talented writer who produced a wide variety of types of literature. She wrote biographies, pl…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article