ploughshare twist

views updated

ploughshare twist. Warped web of a Gothic vault framed by a diagonal rib and stilted wall-rib, occurring when the wall-ribs are sprung from a higher level-than the diagonal ribs, as when accommodating clearstorey lights. As the web is distorted, twisted like a ploughshare, it is also called a plowshare vault.