Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Dutert, Charles-Louis-Ferdinand (1845–1906). French architect of the Galerie des Machines at the International Exposition in Paris (1889, but demolished 1905), a huge development of the metal-and-glass structures that proliferated in C19, designed in collaboration with the engineer Victor Contamin (1840–93). It had an unprecedented span of 114 metres, with the principal trusses in the form of four-centred arches (see arch) hinged at the apices and bases. He designed the new galleries for the Museum of Natural History, Paris (1896), which had its metal structure expressed.
Middleton & and Watkin (1987)