Bastard Brothers

views updated

Bastard Brothers ( John (1688–1770) and William (c.1689–1766)). English architect-builders who worked in Dorset, and rebuilt Blandford Forum in a vernacular Baroque style from 1731 after that town had been destroyed by fire. They employed the capital with volutes turned inwards (see Borromini capital) which had been used by Archer, derived from Borromini, as well as exploiting Rococo motifs. Among their more important buildings are the Town Hall (1734), the Church (1734–9), and two Inns (1734–5).


Colvin (1995);
Placzek (ed.) (1982);
Summerson (ed.) (1993)