- Arden, Enoch shipwrecked sailor; lost for eleven years. [Br. Lit.: “Enoch Arden” in Benét, 316]
- Bligh, Captain commander of H.M.S. Bounty who was cast adrift by mutinous crew. [Am. Lit.: Mutiny on the Bounty ]
- Byam, Roger crew member of the Bounty cast onto South Sea island. [Am. Lit.: Mutiny on the Bounty ]
- Crichton resourceful butler who leads master and his family through difficulties on deserted island. [Br. Lit.: Admirable Crichton ]
- Crusoe, Robinson shipwreck victim who lives on desert island with savage he names Friday. [Br. Lit.: Robinson Crusoe ]
- Gilligan’s Island comedy about a party shipwrecked on a South Pacific island. [TV: Terrace, I, 312–313]
- Gunn, Ben marooned pirate, helps secure treasure hidden on island. [Br. Lit.: Treasure Island ]
- Lost in Space family is shipwrecked in space. [TV: Terrace, II, 38–39]
- Selkirk, Alexander real-life prototype of Robinson Crusoe. [Br. Hist.: EB, IX: 45]
- Smith, Cyrus knowledgeable engineer makes life bearable for castaway party on deserted island. [Fr. Lit.: Mysterious Island ]
- Swiss Family Robinson family shipwrecked on a deserted island. [Br. Lit.: Swiss Family Robinson ]
cast·a·way / ˈkastəˌwā/ • n. a person who has been shipwrecked and stranded in an isolated place. ∎ an outcast.
Castaway ★★½ 1987 (R)
Based on the factual account by Lucy Irvine. The story of Michael Wilmington, who placed an ad for a young woman to spend a year on a Pacific atoll with him, and the battle of the sexes that followed. 118m/C VHS . GB Oliver Reed, Amanda Donohoe, Tony Rickards, Georgina Hale, Frances Barber, Todd Rippon; D: Nicolas Roeg; W: Allan Scott; C: Harvey Harrison; M: Stanley Myers.