SEPÚLVEDA , town in central Spain, N.E. of Segovia. The Jewish community of Sepúlveda belonged to the bishopric of *Segovia and became prosperous in the 13th century. In a fuero ("charter") given by Fernando iv to the town of Sepúlveda in 1305, the Jews there were granted different urban privileges. These included the liberty of trading in the local market and the right to call witnesses from both sides in trials involving Jews and Christians. The Jews were also allowed to have a cemetery within the town boundaries, in exchange for a special tax on pepper. But it was stated in the town's fuero that a Christian woman who nursed a Jewish (or Moorish) child should be flogged and driven out of the town. Jews were forbidden to buy meat for three days following Passover, Shavuot, and Christmas, with the exception of goat meat. In 1494, two years after the edict of expulsion from Spain, one Pedro Laínez returned to Sepúlveda, converted to Christianity, and consequently had his property restored.
Baer, Spain, index; P. Marin Pérez et al., Los Fueros de Sepúlveda (1953); Suárez Fernández, Documentos, 71, 532f.