Oblates of St. Joseph
OBLATES OF ST. JOSEPH
The Congregation of the Oblates of St. Joseph (OSJ, Official Catholic Directory #0930) was founded in 1878 by Giuseppe Marello (1844–95), Bishop of Acqui, Italy. After surviving its difficult early years, the congregation was given final approval by the Holy See April 11, 1909. The Oblates of St. Joseph are engaged in various apostolic works in parishes, schools, and foreign missions. The founder wished his followers to be ready to serve the bishops in whatever tasks were given to them. The generalate is in Rome. The congregation came to the U.S. in 1929 at the request of Thomas C. O'Reilly, Bishop of Scranton, Pa. In 1931 they opened houses in California at Madera, Santa Cruz, Sacramento, and Tomales. In the U.S. the congregation is divided into two provinces: the eastern province embraces Pennsylvania, New York, and Washington, D.C.; the western, California.