LIPOVETS , town in Vinnitsa district, Ukraine. Jews appeared there in 1747 after the community was completely destroyed during the *Chmielnicki massacres (1648–49). Reestablished, it increased from 1,802 in 1847 to 4,135 (47.6% of the total population) in 1897. Two Jewish state schools existed there in the beginning of the 20th century. Jews numbered 3,605 (41.7%) in 1926, dropping to 1,353 (52.6% of the total) in 1939. During the Soviet period a Yiddish school operated there as did a Jewish local council in the 1920s. A few dozen Jewish families were occupied in farming. The Germans took Lipovets on July 24, 1941, and on September 12 they killed 163 Jews, and in October another 70. The rest were probably murdered in the beginning of 1942.
[Yehuda Slutsky /
Shmuel Spector (2nd ed.)]