HECHAL SHLOMO , the former official seat of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel in Jerusalem, opened in 1958, Hechal Shlomo was built largely through the munificence of Sir Isaac *Wolfson, who named it in memory of his father.
Hechal Shlomo housed a number of institutions and organizations. The interior of its synagogue was brought from the synagogue of Padua, Italy. It also housed the Central Rabbinical Library and a Museum of Religious Art. Among the organizations under the aegis of Hechal Shlomo were the Union of Israeli Synagogues and the World Conference of Synagogues. Among its other activities Hechal Shlomo published an annual, Shanah be-Shanah. Today the building houses several religious Zionism organizations.