Bressanone (brās-sänô´nā), Ger. Brixen, town (1991 pop. 16,992), Trentino–Alto Adige, N Italy, on the Brenner Road, and at the confluence of the Isarco and Rienza rivers. Bressanone and its surrounding territory were ruled by prince-bishops from the 11th cent. In 1803 the bishopric was secularized and passed to Austria as a part of the Tyrol. The town passed to Italy with the S Tyrol in 1919; it retains a mixed German and Italian population. Of note are the cathedral (13th cent., with a baroque interior) and the Palazzo Vescovile (17th cent.).
"Bressanone." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed.. . Encyclopedia.com. (March 20, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/bressanone
"Bressanone." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed.. . Retrieved March 20, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/bressanone