Calais (kälā´), city (1990 pop. 78,836), Pas-de-Calais dept., N France, in Picardy, on the Straits of Dover. An industrial center with a great variety of manufactures, it has been a major commercial seaport and a communications center with England since the Middle Ages. A major cross-channel ferry and hovercraft port, it is near the site of the Channel Tunnel linking France with England. It was fortified (13th cent.) by the counts of Boulogne. In 1347, after a siege of 11 months, Calais fell to Edward III of England. A bronze monument by Rodin commemorates the famous episode of the six burghers who offered their lives to save the town; they were spared when Edward's queen, Philippa, interceded. The city remained in English hands until it was recovered (1558) by the French under François de Lorraine, the duke of Guise. It was the scene of much fighting (1940, 1944) in World War II. A Gothic church survived.
City and seaport in Pas-de-Calais department, nw
France. An important port and commercial centre since the Middle Ages
, it was captured by the English king Edward III
in 1347, but was retaken in 1558. It suffered much damage during World War II
. Calais lies c.
34km (21mi) across the English Channel
, and is the site of the Channel Tunnel
connection to Folkestone. Industries: lace making, chemicals, paper. Pop. (1999) 77,300.
, Calais, chalet, Hallé, palais, pis aller
•matchplay • parlay
, pappardelle, Pelé
•endplay • Nestlé • airplay
•replay • screenplay • Millais • inlay
•misplay • cantabile • roundelay
•teleplay • pipeclay • byplay • volet
•bobsleigh • foreplay • swordplay
•horseplay • outlay • paso doble
•stroke play • soufflé • bouclé
•gunplay • cabriolet • Rabelais
•underlay • Beaujolais • Charolais
•interplay • overlay • wordplay
a port in northern France
. Captured by Edward III in 1347 after a long siege, it remained an English possession until it was retaken by the French in 1558.