- a method of self-help stressing autosuggestion, introduced into America about 1920 by the French psychotherapist Emile Coué and featuring the slogan “Every day in every way I am getting better and better.”
- the science of improving a breed or species through the careful selection of parents. —eugenicist , n. —eugenic , adj.
- the art or science of improving a race or breed, especially the human race, by control of external influences, as environment. Cf. eugenics. —euthenist , n.
- the doctrine that the world tends to get better or may be made better by human effort. —meliorist , n., adj. —melioristic , adj.
- telesia, telesis
- the harnessing of natural and social forces for a beneficial goal.
im·prove·ment / imˈproōvmənt/ • n. an example or instance of improving or being improved: an improvement in East–West relations. ∎ the action of improving or being improved: there's still room for improvement. ∎ a thing that makes something better or is better than something else: home improvements it's an improvement on the last cake I made.