Excerpts from "Keynote Speech at Institute of Noetic Sciences Conference on Healing Journeys" and Other Documents at IONS Online Mitchell, Edgar (1998–)
Excerpts from "Keynote Speech at Institute of Noetic Sciences Conference on Healing Journeys" and Other Documents at IONS Online
Edgar Mitchell (1998–)
URL: http://www.ions.org (click Events, Previous Events, Healing Journeys conference; scroll to Mitchell excerpts) and (click Search, type Mitchell, click search button, select a link to an item by Mitchell)
SITE SUMMARY: Mitchell, an Apollo astronaut and the sixth man to walk on the Moon, reveals in his writings and talks an insight ("a sense of awe at the wonder of the universe and an interconnectedness beyond [his] previous experience") he acquired while on the Apollo 14 moon mission in 1971. He also reveals what that insight caused him to do, "working from the scientific point of view." He notes, in addition, what he sees for the future. The speech was presented by Mitchell as founder (in 1973) of the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS), whose name originates from the Greek word for intuitive knowing. This organization now aims to further Mitchell's premise "to expand knowledge of the nature and potential of the mind and spirit, and to apply that knowledge to advance health and well-being for humanity and our planet."
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- Find and read or listen to one or more documents (in print or audio) by Mitchell that you find at the IONS Web site. Describe and explain, including quotations, Mitchell's insight which came to him during the Apollo 14 moon mission, then when exactly he experienced it, how he reacted to it, what he came to realize because of it, and the "primary issue" in his mind that involved what to discover, what to pursue, and how. Provide an example or two based on what you found out that he said as you answered the questions above. Note especially the second part of your answer to what he came to realize and to the "primary issue" in his mind.
- Find a document by Mitchell at the IONS Web site. How did Mitchell answer his own question "What is the nature of consciousness?" Answer his question, giving a particular example based on the general topic in his answer.
- Find a document by Mitchell at the IONS Web site. Describe how he refers to the future. Keeping any metaphoric references in mind that you discovered when answering the Question/Activity just above, note his question "Now as we go into the future, which task and which approach do we take?" Identify what he answered to this question, then answer his question giving your own example.
- Visit the Institute of Noetic Sciences Web site. (Its url is cited in the Related Internet Sites section below.) Give a brief description to answer the question, or part of the question "What are Noetic Sciences?" (an article at the IONS site). Choose a Noetic Science or an aspect of one. Think of, provide, and describe an example of it, and what it means to you and/or society. (See also "noetic sciences" on the "What Is Noetic?" page.)
- Select an article you find at the IONS Web site (found as noted in the IONS Web site description in the Related Internet Sites section below). Identify and describe a viewpoint in the chosen article. Apply this viewpoint to something scientific with relation to the world, and, if possible, to you.
- Choose a quotation about an experience an astronaut other than Mitchell has had, as noted at the Web site Quotes from Astronauts. (Its url is cited in the Related Internet Sites section below.) Comment on how you think this quotation influenced or influences this astronaut, people on Earth, and you.
RELATED INTERNET SITE(S)
Edgar Mitchell, Apollo Astronaut—Biography—Astronauts Hall of Fame
Edgar Mitchell—Articles, Biography, Books, Links
Quotes from Astronauts at Earth from Space Online
Institute of Noetic Sciences
http://www.ions.org/index.asp (click the About link, then the What Is Noetic? link; or click Research link or Publications link, then browse; or click Search and search by last name)
Find links to articles such as "What Are Noetic Sciences?" by Willis Harman, "Toward a Noetic Model of Medicine" by Marilyn Schlitz, "Bio-Electromagnetics: Energy Medicine—A Challenge for Science" by Beverly Rubik, "Prayer: A Challenge for Science" by Rupert Shildrake, "Behavioral Links to Cancer" by Linda Temoshok, "Split Between Spirit and Nature" by Ralph Metzner, and "Mysterious Light: A Scientist's Odyssey" by Peter Russell, and "Profile of IONS Founder Edgar Mitchell" by Marilyn Schlitz. See also on a Research page links to six Research Modules areas (e.g., energy medicine, states of consciousness, emerging worldviews). See in addition Features This Week, Mission Statement, Our Vision, Inside IONS, FAQs, IONS History, awards, discussion, and community.