HOWARD, FORT, built in 1816 on the site of the former French Fort La Baye and of the British Fort Edward Augustus, was the first American post at Green Bay, Wis., and was for many years the lone Americanizing force in a predominantly French settlement. Its garrison was called out in the Red Bird uprising (1827) and in the Black Hawk War (1832). The garrison was withdrawn in 1841; troops were again brought there at the close of the Mexican-American War, when Lt. Col. B. L. E. de Bonneville was the last commandant.
Kellogg, Louise Phelps. "Old Fort Howard." Wisconsin Magazine of History 18 (1934).
Prucha, Francis P. A Guide to the Military Posts of the United States, 1789–1895. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1964.
Louise PhelpsKellogg/a. r.
"Howard, Fort." Dictionary of American History. . Encyclopedia.com. (December 16, 2018). https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/howard-fort
"Howard, Fort." Dictionary of American History. . Retrieved December 16, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/howard-fort