See also 77. CHILDREN ; 153. FATHER ; 281. MOTHER ; 307. PARENTS ; 418. WIFE .
- the condition of close relationship. Cf. consanguinity . See also 258. MARRIAGE .
- a relation through descent on the male side. Cf. cognate . —agnate, agnatic, adj.
- relationship through male descent. Cf. cognation .
- friendship or harmony between individuals or groups. Also called comity .
- a relation through descent on the female side. Cf. agnate . —cognate , —cognatic, adj.
- relationship through female descent. Cf. agnation . —cognate, adj.
- a thing or person of the same kind as another.
- blood relationship. Cf. affinity .
- cousins collectively or as a group or class.
- the maternal relationship.
- an heir, descendant, or successor, frequently an inferior successor.
- 1. the f act or condition of being a son or daughter.
- 2. the relation of child to parent, especially father.
- family relationship or other close tie or relationship.
- line of descent from an ancestor or ancestors; family or ancestry.
- descent through the female line, as in ancestry, inheritance, etc. —matrilineal, matrilinear, adj.
- relationship or descent through the male line, as in ancestry, inheritance, etc. —patrilineal, patrilinear, adj.
- Ancient Greece. fellowship or brotherhood bound by solemn oath.
More From encyclopedia.com
Sibling Relations , Sibling relationships are the longest lasting relationships of most people’s lives, and about 85 percent of all people have at least one sibling. Stu… Mentoring , Mentors produce mentees, or protégés, who ultimately become mentors and perpetuate a cycle that has long-term and lasting effects on generations to c… Fiduciary , fiduciary •beery, bleary, cheery, dearie, dreary, Dun Laoghaire, eerie, eyrie (US aerie), Kashmiri, leery, peri, praemunire, query, smeary, teary, th… Avuncular , Literally, avuncular means like an uncle. Its nominative form, avunculate, refers to the specific relationship between male children and their matern… Greenland , Kalaallit Nunaat, the Greenlanders' Land, is separated from the eastern Canadian Arctic on the west by Davis Strait, Baffin Bay, and Nares Strait, an… Agnate , agnate •agnate, magnate •incarnate, khanate •impregnate •coordinate, subordinate •decaffeinate • paginate • originate •oxygenate •cachinnate, machina…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like